Friday 9 September 2016

September Block of the month!



Happy spring to everyone from my side of the world!  

Well after a few busy weeks, I am finally getting back on track and a bit more organised.  I decided to get this block to you on time.  I have also cut up all of the hand pieced blocks I am behind on and I have them all bagged up so I can just do some hand piecing when waiting or just wanting some quiet time.

So I have decided to introduce you to the Chinese Coin Quilt Block.  


Fabrics I have chosen for both blocks
Go to your stash and find four fabrics, you maybe able to use up some of the scraps that have been made from the previous blocks.

You will need to cut the following
Background cut 2 squares at 5 5/8" then cut diagonally to give you four half square triangles
                           5 squares at 2 7/8"
Fabric A             4 squares at 2 7/8"
Fabric B             4 squares at 2 7/8"
Fabric C             cut 4 squarest at 3 1/4" and then cut diagonally to give you 8 half square triangles

pieces ready to be laid out
pieces all laid out ready to sew

We will start by sewing the centre squares which form a cross in the middle of the block.  Sew a background to the fabric A and press seam towards fabric A.  Then join the centre background square between a 2 pairs which you have just sewn, this will form the middle strip unit of the block.  
starting of the sewing
Next we will sew the small triangles of fabric C to a square of fabric B and press the fabric towards the triangle.  Then proceed to sew the other small triangle of fabric C to the other side to form the half square triangle as follows.




sew the small triangles onto squares
sewing the small triangles to make the half square triangle

sewn units ready for sewing
Next we will sew the Background half square triangles to the pieced half square triangle units as per the following photos.
sew hst to the pieced half square triangles
all units ready to sew
All pieces are now sewn into units.  we will now join the corner squares to the rectangle units to form three rows of units to make the block.
in rows
Continue sewing and sew the rows together to form a Chinese Coin Block!
completed and pressed block

And here are all of my sewn blocks so far!  I am loving this one.  As I owe you your bonus block I am hoping I can get that out to you all soon.
all 9 blocks so far
I will endeavour to give you another blog post over the weekend.  I have a few little projects and squeals to share with you.  So until then I hope you love this block like I do.  Don't forget to leave a comment and say hello.  I would love to know what your favourite block is so far, so how about that as this months answer as a comment on the blog....which block is your favourite?  For me I think I really love the Greek cross and this Chinese coin along with Puss in Corner.  

So don't be shy,  leave a comment.

Happy Sewing and Happy Weekend!

Wendy.









2 comments:

  1. Hello Wendy! I love this block... so looking forward to cutting & getting started piecing your BOM's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, looking forward to seeing your fabrics and quilt come together.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love for you to say hello and share your thoughts on what you have just read or any suggestions you have for future posts or activities. Thanks Again.
Wendy